Sunday, May 23, 2010

El Fin de Semana


Beside is a picture of the house I am living at in Uruguay. It is a comfortable house and have gotten to know it this past weekend. Because I live in a primarily residential area, I haven't really been out much (also due to the jetlag, which gives me only about 5 hours of daylight I spend awake). Mostly I have been getting used to the language, especially with the kids. Santi is 9 and Marí is 6, and like everyone else in the rest of the world, they are crazy about soccer. So I spend most of my afternoons playing soccer with the kids and learning Uruguayan Spanish, little by little. It's gotten to the point where they call for me outside the door of my room ("Andriu, Andriu!" me llaman). When their uncles came I thought I'd show them how to play a little American fútbol, and although I don't play well nor know all the rules, it was a fun way to pass time - I broke my only pair of sandals playing it. And I got to know some people using a different language.

In terms of cultural difference, the food they eat is pretty much meat, meat and meat, which is good. Something interesting is that they are less sensitive to racial issues than I am used to in the US. Whereas, in the US, I would become cautious, my mentor's relatives (who came to visit) treat it as if it was nothing. But other than that, I am still getting used to the weather and some physical amenities that I lack in Uruguay. But all-in-all, the family is great and I am ready to go to work!

Well, 'ta ja me voy pra dormir, porque el primer día de trabajo acerca....

No comments:

Post a Comment