Monday, May 24, 2010

El Primer Dia



Today was the first day I had to wake up incredibly early in comparison to how early I had been waking up. But as it was the first day of work, I didn't want to look too lazy. When I arrived at the lab I was barraged with a bunch of cheek-touching kisses. Even when I extended my hand, they ignored it and proceeded with the kiss. I did half a prep, but had to stop because my mentor was busy with his other things.

There was a conference today about la Semana de Ciencias in the Institute, and to my great surprise, I was sitting right next to the new First Lady of Uruguay! I've never even met our state senator much less a national figure of a country. The talks were boring, and in Spanish, so I zoned out fast. But hey, at least I can say I sat right next to someone poderosa.

Today was also the that I began to feel a little bit of a language drag - I was growing tired of listening to a language that I had to concentrate so hard to speak and understand. Everyone was talking fast, and I couldn't give any input for fear of embarrassment in front of my many mentors. Coupled with having almost nothing to do at lab today (don't know where my materials are...), I started to get a little homesick. But then, after spending 11 hours in lab, I came back home to Santi screaming "Andriu SHENG". And that was enough to get me to speak Spanish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment