Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Extreme experiments in extreme weather

So the winter here is at it full force now, with constant rains mixed with wind and occasionally a thunderstorm. It has been reaching about 3 or 4C pretty consistently in the mornings, which is one of the reasons I think that I am sleeping more now. It is now that I realize how much I appreciate the Latin American laxness on time. Besides, bed is a lot more comfortable, and I can always make up the time by staying late into the night...

Last Friday when I was doing experiments, it was raining all morning. As such, I was fashionably late to work, given that I was now able to do a whole dissection within an hour. I've long given up walking to work when the weather became more suitable for bus rides. It was just like any other day except that it did not stop raining. When I got to the institute and wanted to start an experiment, I had to fish in the rain, which does not help that, as a productive researcher (heh heh), I have gone through many fish and they become harder and harder to find as there are fewer and fewer in the pool. After about 20min of fishing, my mentor told me to come back inside so that I don't get sick. I insisted that I would be able to catch one with the fish detector (which I had not used previously because there were so many I didn't need to use it). And so after about 10 more minutes of fishing and getting my back completely soaked, I caught a fish.

And then, as if someone really didn't want me to do an experiment, the power went out because of a power grid failure resulting from the weather, leaving me with no working equipment to probe the fish. After I worked so hard for that fish...

The situation now is that we are almost out of fish, and so I have to exhaust every preparation I make. So to make up for the lost productivity of the power outage, I stayed till 10pm in lab tonight, applying scopolamine until there were obvious signs of desensitization. I obtained a record of 4 registros from one prep. When I was walking down one of the alleys to get back to the residence, some guy came up to me and asked me for money. I could barely understand what he was saying. And then I realized he needed 3 more pesos for booze, and who can say no to that? And now to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment