Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reflection on my research experience...

Researching abroad has definitely had its ups and downs. First with the down sides.

Right when I got used to the surgery and the experimental procedures, we ran out of fish and it was already too late to go fishing for more. So the project, as of now, will be left incomplete by the time I leave Uruguay. I was told that I had already accomplished a lot in the three month time span, but I can't help but feel that I could do more (given that I have more than a week left).

But this experience has been extremely rewarding at the same time despite these setbacks. One thing that I will definitely miss about Uruguay is the concept of time and the very relaxed pace at which things move. I will be completely honest that recently I have been consistently late for work about half an hour (especially since I now do most of my data analysis at home), and everything seems to be fine (I've even been told by one of my friends that half an hour late is often considered early). I know that in the US, if I am not 5 minutes early, I would be considered late. Also, all the people in my lab have been great and extremely supportive of my research here and for that I am extremely grateful to have gotten to know them.

This picture was taken on my final presentation for the lab. From left to right: Omar Macadar, Ana, me, Lucia, Laura, Cecilia, Niko, Felipe (my mentor) and Lucia Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment