Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Of social unrest?...

I seem to be in an interesting time in Uruguayan politics. I went to visit a high school under student occupation (where classes have been suspended for a week). It was very relaxed and didn't feel like an intense demonstration. My friend gave me a tour of her school as this was happening. Also, strikes and small posters proclaiming the strikes were everywhere. The street was littered with small pamphlets with all the demands of the strikers. Essentially they want an increase in educational spending in Uruguay. These problems were eventually compounded by public transportation strikes as well as medical services strikes. An old lady told me that she believed that instead of striking, that people should work harder to improve their system to merit all the demands they were asking for, rather than inconveniencing the public and promoting an image of disorder. Though I do not have enough information to make a judgement on the situation, her suggestion seemed reasonable... hopefully this won't affect my research...

No comments:

Post a Comment